Peru: Guardians of water, soils and forests
The main objective is the improvement of the quality of life of the people in the Singocate Microbasin. The challenge is the availability of water resource for a sustainable production of the farming families.
Rural families from Huerequeque, Andanjo, Vaquería, Cashupampa, Shuturumbe, Coyona, Cilia and San Francisco, with a total of 1479 inhabitants, of which 723 are women and 756 are men are participating in this project.
How the families are reaching their goals:
The population and local authorities improve their organizational skills and knowledge in the sustainable use of water.
Members of the JG Condorcanqui Cooperative together with the participating families carry out reforestation and soil conservation actions, to improve natural coverage and reducing soil erosion.
The families in coordination with the local authorities protect the springs, streams and build rainwater retention reservoirs, conserving natural production and regulatory sources.
The producers carry out sustainable agricultural practices and techniques, improving their production levels to secure the food for themselves and for the market.
What has been done already since the start of the project in October 2018:
- Coordination meetings with the Mayor of the Municipality of Coyona
- Meetings with leaders of local cooperatives, peasant communities, peasant irrigation channel committees, to socialize the contents of the project and plan the execution of the activities with the population.
- Presentation of the project to the population and local authorities of the micro-basin, in the centers of Coyona and Huerequeque.
- Presentation of the project to officials of the District Municipality of Canchaque.
- Inspection visits to the sources of catchment of the main streams that form the Singucate micro-watershed, to evaluate flow and conservation status.
- Inspection visits to irrigation channels for evaluation of capacity of use and conservation status.
- Inspection visits to deforested areas of the micro-basin to organize reforestation activities.
- Identification and location of zones to start the installation and implementation of fruit and forest nurseries.
- Location of places for demonstration plot.
- Identification of potential products in the area.
- Some organizations of the Microbasin have been motivated to collaborate in the project: Municipality of Coyona Populated Center, Cooperative of Coffee Farms José Gabriel Condorcanqui Limited, Headquarters of Peasant patrols, Peasant community Andanjo, Committee of Irrigators Channel